Work-From-Home Mum

by - July 13, 2022

Being able to fulfill your full-time job as a mum is one thing, what more could it be to do it while doing a full-time regular office job? I used to enjoy my regular job before, I do a lot of things within the day - wake up, get ready, commute, socialize with colleagues, do my actual work, commute again going home, take care of my little one when I got home, clean the house, cook, play with the little one, get ready to sleep - and repeat! It is a routine I got used to for 4 years. Not until the pandemic hit, it is having an extra burden to think of before you actually do the things you normally do before and it is tiring - 

The company I used to work for allowed us to work at home for 2 months when pandemic started here in the country - that was March 2020. I know working from home is not for everyone - I've had colleagues who had technical difficulties while working from home and it is pretty annoying not being able to do work efficiently because of that - but, for me, it is just something that can't be avoided, I was happy working from home mainly because I get to spend more time with my daughter and that was really my sole reason then. Until we were asked to work onsite again and it's me thinking "no way!". I realized, I can be a mum, save more money, time, effort and energy going to the office but at the same time be an efficient and effective employee, then why the hell do I need to go back? I became so unmotivated to work onsite after that. I still stayed at the company for more than a year but feeling stressed all the way through knowing I can do the same work at the convenience of my own home. I decided to take a leap - resign and apply for a permanent work from home job. 

Now, I'm here. Still working full time but permanently home-based. There are pros and cons but definitely a lot more PROS than cons. I've never been so relaxed and chill in my entire career experience. I get to save a whole lot more, earn a whole lot more, manage my time even more, spend more time with my family while I upgrade my career. The only con I can think of is the job security, I am lucky with the company I am now because even though they are an outsourcing company, they also "regularised" contract employees and provide benefits after 6 months. I am aware that many freelancers/ virtual workers out there are earning a lot more than I am because they work for direct clients overseas but is forever under a contract and there's nothing wrong with that, it is absolutely up to their perspective over things. 

Actually, I just want to dump some photos here from my first get-together dinner party attendance with my current company. Company CEO's just visited the country from Australia 🦘🐨





That's me wearing maroon long sleeves. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

I’d love to hear what you think!